Wayne Brookhart - Superintendent
Mr. Brookhart is entering his 13th year as Superintendent at Berwick. He came to the district from Tamaqua where he was serving as Assistant Superintendent. Mr. Brookhart was previously a Middle School and High School Principal, as well as a Curriculum Coordinator. He also has 15 years of experience as a Social Studies Teacher.
Mr. Brookhart also has extensive background in athletics. He has 14 years of Varsity Basketball Coaching experience and played collegiate basketball at Mansfield University before transferring to Bloomsburg University. He was recognized as Associated Press Pennsylvania Big School Coach-of-the-Year in 1997 and has also been recognized as the Central Susquehanna Conference Coach-of-the-Year and the Pittsburgh Tribune Review North Coach-of-the-Year.
Mr. Brookhart graduated from Bloomsburg University in 1985 with a degree in Secondary Education and a concentration in Social Studies Teaching at the Secondary level. He has a Master’s Degree in Administration and Policy Studies with a concentration in the Political Economy of Education from the University of Pittsburgh and a Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility from Bucknell University.
Mr. Brookhart is a member of the Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators (PASA) and served as the Regional Director of PASA Resolutions. He has served as a Board Member and Past Chairman of the Foundation of the Columbia-Montour Chamber of Commerce and has served as a Board member of the Columbia-Montour Chamber of Commerce, Berwick Marketing Committee, Central Susquehanna Medical Trust and the Berwick Task Force.
Mr. Brookhart has had the opportunity to present statewide to Business Managers, Auditors and Superintendents on the success the district has had in combining effective fiscal operations with progressive facility enhancement strategies.
Mr. Brookhart lists the greatest accomplishments of the Berwick Area School District over the last decade as follows:
- Establishment of the STEM Magnet Program in collaboration with the Central Columbia School District, Bloomsburg Area School District and Bloomsburg University. There are now 11 public school districts participating in the program
- Demolition of abandoned properties and construction on that site of the new 88,000 square foot West Berwick Elementary School
- Recognition by the College Board for the success of Berwick Area School District students on Advanced Placement exams in 2011 and 2013. We were one of less than 5% of high schools in PA to receive this honor
- Selection of Randy Peters as the Pennsylvania Principal of the Year in 2010
- Berwick Area High School received a National Blue Ribbon School Award in 2017
- Transformation of Crispin Field into a multi-purpose stadium
- Full renovation of the Auditorium at Berwick Area High School
- Construction of the Track/Turf project adjacent to Salem Elementary
- Purchase of and full renovation of North Berwick Baseball Field
- Commitment to all aspects of Title IX and equity throughout the district
- Establishment of a partnership with the National Education Foundation on the development of Cyber options for Berwick students, which has led to increased academic achievement and saved the district more than a half million dollars on vendor costs since 2014
- Commitment to fiscal responsibility, which has led to Berwick being one of a very few school districts in Pennsylvania that has not increased taxes in the last decade
Mr. Brookhart lives in Danville with his wife Dawn and their two daughters: Jordan (16) and Kyla (12).