March 4, 2020
In Berwick Area School District the health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff are our top priorities. With the recently elevated discussion regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the news, we want to take a moment to reinforce preventive safety measures and reference our process and communications.
At this time, there have only been a small number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States. As a school district, we are closely monitoring the situation and taking guidance from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There is currently no recommendation to close schools in the United States.
We all play a role in reducing the likelihood of a coronavirus outbreak in our school district community. We encourage everyone to practice good habits, including:
● Wash your hands regularly, especially after using the restroom and before preparing or consuming food. Using soap and hot water, wash for about 20 seconds. Be sure to also wash your fingertips.
● Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or in the air. Always try to cough or sneeze into a tissue, and then throw the tissue away. If you don’t have a tissue, cough/sneeze into your arm.
● As much as you can, avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
● If children are feeling sick, please keep them home from school. Allow them some time to feel better so that they do not risk infecting others.
If you have any questions, please contact your building
· Pennsylvania Department of Education https://www.education.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx#tab-1
· U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Information <https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html>
Wendy Kupsky- Assistant to the Superintendent for Student Services