Berwick Area School District
Title I District Parent Involvement Policy
In compliance with Section 1116 of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), The Berwick Area School District is committed to the following Parent Involvement Policy. The Berwick Area School District is committed to the belief that all children can learn and acknowledges that parents share the District’s commitment to the educational success of their children. The Berwick Area School District agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
- The school district will put into operation programs, activities, and procedures for the involvement of parents in all of its schools with Title I, Part A programs. Those programs, activities, and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children.
- The school district will work with each participating school to ensure that parental involvement policies meet the requirements, and each include a school-parent compact.
- To the extent practicable, the school district and its schools will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports in an understandable and uniform format and, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents understand.
- If the LEA plan for Title I, Part A, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school district will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school district submits the plan to the State Department of Education.
- The school district will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the 1 percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement is spent, and will ensure that not less than 95 percent of the one percent reserved goes directly to the schools.
- The school district will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and expects that its Title I schools will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities ensuring—
(A) parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) carrying out of other activities.
Berwick Area School District is committed to implement required district wide Parental Involvement Policy components by adhering to the following:
- The Berwick Area School District will invite parents of students enrolled in Title I, Part A to annual meetings to help plan, review, and improve the District Parent Involvement Policy.
- The Berwick Area School District will provide necessary coordination and technical assistance to assist Title I, Part A schools in planning and implementing effective parental involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance.
- The Berwick Area School District, through district mailings, will integrate parental involvement activities with the Head Start and State-operated preschool programs by inviting and including staff and parents of participating students in parent involvement activities offered. Parent involvement announcements / newsletters will be distributed to the families using an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
- The Berwick Area School District Title I Coordinator will meet annually with parents to review and evaluate the effectiveness of this parental involvement policy in improving the quality of its Title I, Part A schools. The school district will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
- The Berwick Area School District will build the schools’ and parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school involved, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, through the following activities specifically described below:
- The Berwick Area School District will, with the assistance of its Title I, Part A schools, assist parents of children served by the school district or school, as appropriate, by offering materials and/or trainings in understanding topics such as the following:
- the State’s academic content standards,
- the State’s student academic achievement standards,
- the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- eligibility requirements of District Title I program,
- how to help improve their child’s reading skills,
- how to monitor their child’s progress, and
- how to work with educators.
- The school district will, with the assistance of its schools and parents, encourage school administrators and staff members to attend various Title I functions in order to reach out to, communicate with, work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and build ties between parents and schools.