As many of you know, the state is now requiring all volunteers and chaperones who have direct contact with children to obtain their clearances. These clearances are free for volunteers, can be applied for online, and will be good for sixty months. When you have received your clearances please send a copy into the school with your child. Please note that obtaining your clearances does not guarantee you will be chosen to chaperone your child’s trip. However, in order to be considered you must have your clearances. If you have any questions, or need assistance please contact your child’s teacher.
1. Act 34 (PA State Police Criminal History Check)- FREE
* PA State Police website- http://epatch.state.pa.us
* Click on the Request for Criminal Record Check-VOLUNTEER ONLY
* Response is immediate. Be sure to print the actual credential by clicking on the control number issued.
2. Act 151 (PA Child Abuse History Clearance)- FREE
* Create an account. Reason for certification- volunteer having contact with children
* Once application is processes you will receive a notification via e-mail to log into your account and view the result of the application. Print a copy.
3. Act 114 (FBI Clearance Background-Fingerprinting)
* You will NOT need to complete this clearance if you have been a continuous resident of PA for 10 years. You will need to sign a waiver. If you have NOT been a continuous resident of PA for 10 years this clearance will need to be completed and cost $27.00.
* Click on Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) block. Reason for clearance- School Districts
Please click the links below for information regarding clearances from the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Volunteer Clearances FAQ