History of the Berwick Area School District
The first major move in consolidating the districts that now comprise the Berwick Area School District occured in 1918 when the Berwick Borough and West Berwick entered into an agreement. The next step occured in 1954 when the outlying districts of Briar Creek Borough, Briar Creek Township, and Salem Township joined the Berwick Borough to form the Berwick Area Jointure.
During this period Nescopeck Borough, Nescopeck Township, and Hollenback Township developed a coordinated system. In 1941 they created a jointure for grades seven through twelve. This agreement was amended in 1953 to include all grades, one through twelve.
Act 299, passed in 1963 provided the basis for the 1965 reorganization of Berwick Area Jointure and the Nescopeck Area Jointure to form the present school district.